Satisfy an ice cream craving guilt-free with this vegan blueberry “nice cream“! This dairy-free ice cream recipe is quick, easy, and healthy, made with only 2 ingredients. Summer treats don’t get better than this!
2-Ingredient Vegan Blueberry Nice Cream
As soon as the hot weather hits, I love blending up a batch of this creamy vegan blueberry ice cream. Between this recipe and my favorite (but not vegan) homemade banana frozen yogurt, I’m officially living my best life all summer in terms of waist-friendly desserts.
This vegan blueberry ice cream is a cool and refreshing frozen treat. And it gets better: it’s good for you, too! This recipe isn’t just dairy-free, it’s also guilt-free in more ways than one. They don’t call it “nice cream” for nothin’.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
So, what’s to love about homemade “nice cream”? For starters, this frozen dessert is:
- Flavorful. This easy homemade nice cream is bursting with bright blueberry flavor. Whether you make this recipe with fresh blueberries when they’re in season, or frozen blueberries all year round, it’s a satisfying and fruity frozen treat.
- Quick and healthy. Just like my no-churn mango ice cream, you can skip the ice cream machine when making this vegan ice cream from scratch. This healthy homemade ice cream recipe takes minutes to blend up using nothing more than your food processor.
- Smooth and creamy. I couldn’t believe how incredibly rich and creamy this vegan blueberry ice cream turned out, with just two whole-food ingredients. You won’t even miss the dairy!
What Is Nice Cream Made Of?
Nice cream is a dairy-free, sugar-free, fruit-based frozen dessert. It’s made by blending together frozen bananas (and sometimes avocados) with different kinds of fruit depending on the flavor you’re after. The result is a creamy, plant-based ice cream that’s light and luxurious, and sugar-free, hence the “nice” in the name.
There are so many ways to make vegan ice cream at home. You don’t need anything fancy. This delicious blueberry nice cream recipe needs only TWO ingredients: frozen bananas and blueberries.
How to Make Blueberry Nice Cream
Who’s ready to whip up something nice? Here’s how crazy-easy it is to make your own homemade banana nice cream that’s loaded with blueberries. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for a full ingredient list and detailed instructions.
- Blend the ingredients. Before you start, choose 4 ripe bananas and freeze them for at least 2 hours (you can also do this the day before). To make your nice cream base, toss the frozen bananas into your blender along with the blueberries. Puree the fruit into a smooth consistency.
- Freeze. Scoop the mixture out into a freezer-safe, airtight container. Cover the ice cream and place it in the freezer overnight. I suggest taking this vegan ice cream out of the freezer a few minutes before serving so that it’s easier to scoop.
Tips for the Best Blueberry Nice Cream
Anyone can make their own vegan ice cream at home. Keep these tips in mind:
- An easy way to freeze bananas is to peel them, slice them, and freeze the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Frozen bananas are key to this recipe’s creamy texture.
- If you’re having trouble blending your nice cream, allow the bananas to thaw a little before you blend them. This can help soften them up enough to blend smoothly.
- For an authentic “ice cream” texture, freeze your blended nice cream for 2-3 hours before serving.
- You can use a food processor or blender to make homemade banana ice cream. Both work great. Blenders tend to work a little faster.
Well, yes and no. Since the base of this recipe is banana, it does have banana flavor. However, nice cream tends to take on the flavors of the other ingredients, too, in this case, a generous taste of blueberries.
When it’s fresh out of the blender, nice cream has a consistency that’s a bit like soft serve ice cream. For harder ice cream, make sure to freeze it for at least 2 hours before serving.
Variation and Topping Ideas
Just like ice cream in general, there are SO many ways that you can make this dairy-free blueberry ice cream your own. Try these easy variations and nice cream topping ideas:
- Mixed Berry. Why stop at just blueberries? Make this recipe with a combination of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries.
- Chocolate Chips. To keep this recipe vegan, sprinkle vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs over top.
- Granola. Treat your scoops of blueberry ice cream like a smoothie bowl, and top them with your favorite granola.
- Coconut. Shredded coconut makes a delicious healthy topping for blueberry nice cream.
- Nut Butter. Drizzle your vegan ice cream with almond butter or natural peanut butter.
How to Store Nice Cream
- This homemade blueberry nice cream can be stored frozen for up to 1 week. Make sure that you keep it covered in an airtight container.
More Summer Treats to Try
- Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas
- Frozen Yogurt Bark with Berries
- Mocha Latte Frozen Yogurt
- 2-Ingredient Homemade Ice Cream
- Mango Semifreddo
Vegan Blueberry Ice Cream (Nice Cream)
- 4 firm ripe bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- 1 cup blueberries
- Combine frozen bananas and blueberries in a blender or food processor; puree, scraping down sides as needed, until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the nice cream to an airtight container; cover and freeze.
- Let sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Keep nice cream in the freezer for up to 7 days.
- Freeze banana slices on a baking sheet.
- If blending is tough, let bananas thaw a bit first.
- For an “ice cream” feel, freeze the blended mix for 2 to 3 hours.
- Use a food processor or blender – both are fine, but blenders are faster.
- Try mixed berries instead of just blueberries.
- Add vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs for a vegan twist.
- Top with granola for a smoothie bowl feel.
- Almond or peanut butter can be drizzled on top.
- Keep this Nice Cream in the freezer for 5 to 7 days.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.